October 2008 Board Minutes
COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT October 6, 2008
WORK SESSION MEETING MINUTES
Board of Education Chattooga County
Office of the Superintendent
Agenda for Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at by Mr. Anderson, Chairman.
All Board members, with the exception of Mrs. Johnson were present along with Superintendent, Dr. Pullen and Will Turner, Student Advisor.
Invocation – Dr. Pullen opened the meeting with Prayer.
Pledge of Allegiance –Mr. Will Turner led the group in the Pledge
Mr. Anderson asks if there were any additions to the Superintendent’s Recommended Agenda for
October 6, 2008Board Meeting. There were none. Mr. Elsberry made a motion to approve Agenda as printed with a second by Mr. Money and the vote was unanimous.
Approve Minutes of Previous Meetings at the next meeting on
October 13, 2008.
1. Work Session -
August 4, 2008
2. Regular Session -
- Resolutions/Recognitions – NONE
- School Board Members - NONE
- School Board Policies
1. 1. Board Consideration for approval of Updated System Parent Involvement Policy.
2. Board Consideration to reaffirm Board Policy IA.
- Financial Management
1. Board Consideration for approval of Financial Statement ending
July 31, 2008and August 2008.
2. Board Consideration for approval of Invoices for materials used for CHS Stadium improvement.
3. Board Consideration for approval of School Sales Projects
4. Board Consideration for approval of use of Chattooga High School Cafeteria
and Gym by United By
. Faith Baptist Church
5. Board Consideration for approval of Invoice from ADF Welding & Medical,
Inc. for work on CHS Metal Lab.
Educational Programs, Student Support and Staff Development
1. Board Consideration for approval of Field Trips.
2. Board Consideration for approval of the following people to serve on
Tribunals for the 2008-2009 school year:
Debbie Garrett, Mitch Williams, Michael Benefield, Jim Lenderman, Beth
Morgan, Morgan Nugent, Jared Hosmer, Christy Swansborough, Miss Lanier,
Robbie Robison, Judy England,
Parker, Barry Peppers, Teresa Pewitt, Regina
Paula Buice, Carole Hosmer, Mike Martin, Beth Hall, Ila King, Brian Beasley,
Diane Mitchell, Kevin Muskett & Jennifer Reese.
10-06-08) Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation for approval of Field Trip. Due to an error in the this was inadvertently left off request for Agenda on County Office September 8, 2008.
A motion was made by Mr. Money with a second by Mr. Massey to approve item # 3.
- Support Services/Facilities and Construction Management/Planning
1. Mr. John Worsham, Maintenance, Facilities & Grounds Supervisor has 3 Architects to give their presentations to be considered as our new Architect. They are: Southern A&E, JK&H and Buckley & Associates
2. Mr. John Worshan, Maintenance, Facilities & Grounds Supervisor, will open
bids for Roof at Menlo Elementary, Gymnasium Floor at Leroy Massey Elem.
and Gymnasium Floor at
. He will make his Summerville Middle School
recommendation at the next Board Meeting on
October 13, 2008.
Executive Session – The Board did not go into Executive Session.
1. Board Consideration of Recommendations for Certified & Classified Personnel
Certified Recommendations: Brandi James, SES ECE, MG
Certified Transfers: Betty Wagner, LES Teacher, new position
Classified Resignations: James R. “Bob” Farrow, Maintenance Tech-HVAC;
Food Service MES School
Classified Recommendations: Cynthia Bell, Special Ed. Para;
Williams, Food Service Asst.; Melvin Mosley, Full Time Sub Driver
Extended Medical Leave: Teena DiPillo beginning
Substitute Recommendations: Teachers: Jayna Abernathy, Donna Blanton,
Larita Burke, Doris Burnette, Randy Davis, Loretta Woods Dukes, Jessica
Hurley, Amanda McKeehan, Ashley Patterson, Amy Peterson, Sub Teacher
& Food Service: Jane Hawkins Sub Food Service: Mary Anderson, Patricia
Bolton, Diane Myrick, Lindsey Strickland, Martha Travillian, Marci
Trautner Sub Food Service/Custodian: Thomas T. Day
- Superintendent of School
1. Board Consideration for approval of a Resolution to support Chattooga County Livestock Arena and Convention Center.
2. Board Consideration for approval for a Lease Agreement to allow Chattooga County Livestock Arena and Convention Center to be constructed on School Board Property.
3. Board Consideration to begin the Standards Board of Education progress thru Georgia School Board Association.
Mr. Anderson, Chairman asks the Board for a motion to set policy aside for this meeting. Mr. Elsberry made a motion with a second by Mr. Massey and the vote was unanimous.
Mr. Anderson, Chairman, made an amendment to Board Policy BCBI that does not allow the public to speak at the Board meeting unless they are on the Agenda five days prior to the meeting date. However, members of the community that had gathered for the meeting were allowed to speak on the issue regarding the recent dismissal of
football Coach John Starr from his coaching position. Chattooga High School
Several members of the community spoke about their disapproval of the decision to dismiss Coach Starr. The Board heard their comments and Chairman Anderson reminded everyone that if they wish to be put on the Agenda to speak about any school related issues their request must be submitted in writing 5 days prior to the Board meeting. The next meeting will be Monday, October 13 at Adjournment
With no further business Mr. Money made a motion to adjourn at with a second by Mr. Elsberry and the vote was unanimous.
Dr. Dwight Pullen, Superintendent Mr. William Anderson, Chairman