CHATTOOGA COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
REGULAR SESSION BOARD MEETING MINUTES
January 12, 2009 - 7 P.M.
ChattoogaCounty Board of Education
Office of the Superintendent
Agenda for Board Meeting
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 p.m. by Mr. Anderson, Chairman.
Invocation was led by Mr. Worsham.
Pledge to Flag was led by Mr. Will Turner.
All Board members were present, with the exception of Mr. Elsberry along with Superintendent, Dr. Pullen .
Mr. Anderson asks if there were any additions to the Superintendent’s Recommended Agenda for January 12, 2009 School Board Meeting. Dr. Pullen said there were none.
Mr. Anderson asks for a motion to approve all items of the Agenda. Mr. Money made a motion to approve with a second by Mr. Massey and the vote was unanimous.
A motion was made by Mrs. Johnson to approve Minutes of Previous Meetings with a second by Mr. Massey and the vote was unanimous.
1. Work Session - December 1, 2008
2. Regular Session - December 8, 2008
1. Ms. Kimberly W. Laney addressed the Board concerning getting her job back as a Bus driver and Substitute teacher. Dr. Pullen stated that she was terminated by the Board of Education on October 2, 2006. He was not Superintendent at the time but his understanding was that the Board issued a directive that she could resign her positions or she would be terminated with no consideration given for future employment. A verbal directive was given to Mrs. Laney by Mr. Poole, the former Superintendent, on Tuesday, September 12, 2006. No written resignation was received so at the October 2, 2006 the BOE voted to terminate her employment. Mrs. Laney has applied again this year and has visited with Dr. Pullen twice and on both occasions she was told by him that he would not recommend her for employment.
Mrs. Laney stated the reason for her being terminated was that she was arrested for Domestic Violence to her children at home. She went to Court and took classes. It was a one time incident and did not happen at school. She stated that she wanted her job back.
Mr. Anderson told her that the Board has to have a recommendation to hire anyone and if Dr. Pullen does not recommend them then they cannot hire them. She then asks if someone else could recommend her and was told that the recommendation had to come from the Superintendent. She thanked the Board and left the meeting.
- School Board Members
- School Board Policies
A motion was made to approve on consensus vote items #D1 & #D2; items #E1 & #E2; items #F1 thru #F3; items #G1 & #G2 by Mr. Money with a second by Mr. Massey and the vote was unanimous.
A motion was made to approve items #D1 & #D2; items #E1 & #E2; items #F1 thru #F3; items #G1 & #G2 by Mr. Money with a second by Mrs. Johnson and the vote was unanimous.
- Financial Management
1. Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation for approval of Financial Statement for November 30, 2008.
2. Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation for approval of School Sales Projects.
●●●3. Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation for approval of opening Erate bids for Basic Network Maintenance (2009-2010). Also status report on the other Erate services that is scheduled for next year.
●●● A motion was made to approve item D#3 by Mr. Money with a second by Mrs. Johnson and the vote was unanimous.
- Educational Programs, Student Support and Staff Development
1. Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation for approval of 2009-2010 Calendar.
2. **Added to Agenda – Board Consideration of Superintendents
Recommendation for approval of attached Field Trip. Information was
while School was out for the holidays.
- Support Services/Facilities and Construction Management/Planning
1. Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation from Buckley & Associates, Inc. Architects drawings for new additions at Summerville Middle School.
2. ** (Slight Architectural Change) Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation from Buckley & Associates, Inc Architects drawings for new additions at Menlo Elementary School.
3. **Added to Agenda – Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation for HVAC replacement in main building at Menlo Elementary School.
Mr. Massey asks that items #F1 & #F2 be pulled for some discussion. He asks Mr. Worsham to go over the plans to let everyone know what was included in this work.
A motion was made by Mr. Money to go into Executive Session at 7:20 p.m. with a second by Mr. Massey and the vote was unanimous.
The Board returned to Regular Session at 7:40 p.m. with no action taken.
1. Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendations for approval of Certified & Classified Personnel
**Certified Resignations – Ila King SES Principal – Retirement; Morgan Nugent CHS Principal - Resignation
Certified Recommendation – Brad Waggoner, CHS Head Football Coach
Classified Transfers – Sherry Brewster Food Service Asst.
** Classified Recommendation – Martha “Janice” Turkett, Food Service Asst. at Menlo Elementary School
Substitute Recommendations – Sub Bus Driver – Alma Lewis; Sub Teacher – Mitzi Tomlin
**Certified-Sub Teacher - Loretta Dukes
**Sub Food Service – Tiffany Railey
2. Board Consideration of Superintendents Recommendation to reinstate Special Education Clerical position to assist the Psychologist, Alternative School Director, as well as the Special Education Department.
- Superintendent of School
1. Approved at last weeks meeting – The Board of Education elected Officers for the 2009-2010 school year at last weeks Board Meeting. Mr. William Anderson was re-elected as Chairman and Mrs. Dot Johnson was re-elected as Vice Chairman.
With no further business Mrs. Johnson made a motion to adjourn at 7:45 p.m. with a second by Mr. Massey and the vote was unanimous.
*** Items added to Agenda
Dr. Dwight Pullen, Superintendent Mr. William Anderson, Chairman