OPEN TRANSFERS FOR STUDENTS
During the 2009 session of the Georgia General Assembly, HB251 was passed and subsequently signed by Georgia Governor Sonny Perdue. This bill allows for open transfers for students into schools that are not deemed at, or above, capacity by local school districts.
CHATTOOGA COUNTY SCHOOL SYSTEMProvisions Regarding School Transfers Available Under Passage of HB251 (2009)Basic Provisions for Parents/Guardians:
Timeline for Application Submission FOR 2016-2017 ONLY
- A parent/guardian can apply to send a student to another school in the Chattooga County School System as long as the selected school is not at/over capacity. Within the available schools, there must be (a) classroom space and/or (b) opportunity for service in any special program needed by the student.
- A parent electing to exercise this choice option must begin the process by (a) reviewing the School System’s Student Reassignment and Transfer Guidelines: and, (b) apply for transfer via the Reassignment and Transfer Request Form (also posted electronically for usage by parents).
- If a parent elects to exercise this choice option, the following provisions must be understood:
- The parent assumes all responsibility associated with transportation of the child to/from the selected school.
- The student who transferred to a selected school may continue until completion of the highest grade at that school.
- In order to continue a transfer, the student must maintain acceptable grades, discipline and attendance. Additionally, a cooperative/productive relationship between home and school must also be maintained for a transfer to remain valid.
- All applications must be submitted directly to the Title I Director by September 1st of each year.
Available Schools for 2016-2017
- All submissions after that date will result in a denial of the request.
Leroy Massey Elementary